Old-Style Pay Phone

I came across this dusty old Telephone while I was with Bad, walking away from the old folk's home with the intention of finding a place for lunch. We stopped by an army shop to pick up something or another that Bad was looking for, and as she browsed inside, I entertained myself by looking around the old estate, admiring the achitecture of the HDB block .

The old phone immediately caught my attention as it was covered in dust and a piece of plastic was jammed up into it. I was so tempted to pull the plastic piece out, however at that point, Bad came out and chided me for touching something so dusty. I refrained from touching it but was still extremely curious about it, so I to several photographs to document it.





It really made me wonder at how interesting old technology looks under the wear and tear of a few years~ I kind of wish I had a phone like this in my house; it brings back memories of my life as a child. Pay phones used to be the only way one could contact parents or friends when you were outside the house. They used to be the light in the darkness when I was lost or scared, and the few coins in my pocket used to not only represent money for snacks, but money for that ability to connect with someone who would help you. 

With the introduction of the hand-phone, these phones have almost lost their purpose. You no longer have to carry necessarily heavy pockets, purses or wallets of coin, and you could still reach millions of people at the click of a button or the swipe of a finger. The payphone has completely lost it's importance, except for those who have lost their phone, or are out of battery, then it becomes your best bet for the right connection.

However no matter how irrelevant this old phone becomes, my eyes still search the pillars of buildings and around HDB void decks for them, and I still feel the itch to use a phone that is still in working condition, as for me, these old phones have never lost their charm, and I will always seek them out, even though their purpose might one day be lost, or their functionality compromised.

Comments