The Gay Burger

When I was about 26 and rolling around on Tumblr, I was really interested in gay culture as I had just come out as a bisexual woman to my folks, and I had wanted to know what that meant, on the grander scale of things. 

Being a Bi Girl living in Asia, my only way of accessing said gay culture was online. The first thing that popped up when I typed in ...

were pictures of pride flags, pride ice creams and unicorns, which cemented the idea that I was definitely in the right place.

The community and imagery online really inspired a lot of artwork after that, and one of the main ideas that flowed out of the many beautiful flags, illustrations and concepts that the internet presented me, was the Rainbow Burger Series!

Initially, I attempted to make every kind of flag that there is into burgers, however, I was corrected on a lot of points, for example, I made a Hermaphrodite burger, which I later removed and updated with an Intersex Burger as someone educated me that the term "intersex" is standard now and the former is not appropriate anymore. 


These are things I learnt at 26 - I led a very conservative and squished life to say the least. I didn't even know that non-binary existed at the time! Which goes to show that there is never a time to stop learning. I feel that after that, I have strived to keep myself as up-to-date as possible if it is possible!

After much time had passed, I decided to review some of the flags featured in the LGBT spectrum, and I realised that LGBT itself had expanded to embrace more sexual identities, and unfortunately as an artist, I couldn't keep up!


I love how diverse the LGBTQIA community is, and I would really rather not embarrass myself either by creating content that nobody wants, so I decided to simply focus on the flags that I know and understand, and wait to see if anyone wants a burger done of their own flag! Do comment below if you would like to see the burger version of your flag, and I'll include it here on this blog :3 

I believe I actually tried to create quite a few, however, these are the LGBT burger flags that remain, and you can actually purchase them on Threadless as stickers, buttons and more: 
( 30% of all sales gets donated to either the 'It Gets Better Project' of the 'Trevor Project' ) 






I do believe I have the same available on Redbubble:



However I really love the face that through the sales of my art of Threadless, I can also support charities that I care about, so if you have a choice, please choose Threadless first, so that the purchase can support not just me, but also the charity that the piece is dedicate to. 

The one burger that gets a lot of love is the Gay Burger:



The illustrations take a while to make and I am often creating new ideas every other day, so I don't often update each design with a variety of colors, unless that is a default on Threadless or Redbubble itself. However I recently recieved a request on instagram to have this particular burger in Red, however it's been a few weeks so I'm not even sure if the person who asks still rememebers


I tried to make sure that there is an option for everyone, so you can check out all the colour options here: 


Options on Threadless:













Options on Redbubble:












Ok! So that are all the options available for the Gay Burger. Thank you so much for stopping by and enjoying my art! As always, may your days be magical, and I will see you in the next time. 


- AiAi 




Comments