Creating Memorabilia from Scraps

 The day I received my groceries is always an exciting day for me as I get to see what cute, new, and exciting packaging they come in. I have always loved unique packaging for food and appliance products, and even simple plastic embellishing on tissue packets piques my interest if the design is fascinating or nostalgic enough~!

This week the packaging that drew my attention where the cardboard wrapping for the peach and aloe vera jelly that I bought. I have been trying to buy reduced sugar or fruit-related snacks and at 35 - 45 calories a jelly, these have been my number one options of late.

I usually get my hands on loose jellies when I shop, but this time I was delighted to find that each jelly came wrapped in packaging, and so before I threw out the packaging with the other plastic and paper waste, I tried my best to cut out the parts of the packaging that I was must keen on. 


I found a few interesting shapes such as the jelly itself, the images of fruit and the logo of the brand to be cute and ideal for my scrapbooking purposes, and so I kept them for my collection.



Next, I selected a new brand of Instant Noodles that my girlfriend has fallen in love with. Every now and then my girlfriend latches on to a different flavor, and this year it seems to be Tom Yam by Maggie. 


I've been really drawn to warm, fresh and vibrant colors which I find very exciting and pleasant, especially when I think of putting together a scrapbook featuring my favorite foods. This packaging is flimsy so I will be laminating it when I have some free time, to preserve the illustration as well as to give it a stronger backing. This way it will last longer and I will be able to use it even in ten to fifteen years' time. 

For now, this is the piece I cut out: 


I'm not that keen on cutting out too much of the desired packaging these days as previously I was obsessed with every detail, that I gathered too much memorabilia from just a few items, and have yet to use them. I hope that I'll be able to gather a few things here and there, so as to create nostalgic, sweet, and homey pieces, without too much excess as well, as I hope to be able to recycle when I can, and not overdo it in terms of keeping scraps that I love here and there. 

Lastly, I recycled my girlfriend's latest ice cream tub. 


She does through only 1 1.5Litre ice cream tub every two months, which is so good! Each time she only eats a scoop, which has been such a great step in terms of her health and diet. This also means that instead of collecting tiny ice cream tubs, once she has finished the large tub, I now have a new container to keep bric-a-brac and other trinkets that I have lying around the house! 


I know it's possible to go out and buy a new container, but after falling for weirdcore, anything that holds even a shadow of nostalgia is hard for me to let go of, so I gave myself a rule - if I can use it, I can keep it, but the minute it is no longer useful, I must recycle it. And so far, it has worked. This tub is in good condition, with no holes or anything, so I'm keeping it. 




Ok, I think I really enjoyed these scrapbook memorabilia creation sessions this week. I'll pop back in again with more scrapbooking escapades in the future~! 

If you scrapbook too, do let me know what sort of things you like to recycle into memorabilia. And if you have any exciting packaging that you think I should check out, do let me know in the comment section below!

May your days be magical, and happy scrapbooking~!!!










Comments