The Trevor Project - Why I support them on Threadless






THE TREVOR PROJECT


"The Trevor Project is an American non-profit organization founded in 1998 focused on suicide prevention efforts among lesbiangaybisexualtransgenderqueer, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth. Through a toll-free telephone number, it operates The Trevor Lifeline, a confidential service that offers trained counselors. The stated goals of the project are to provide crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25, as well as to offer guidance and resources to parents and educators in order to foster safe, accepting, and inclusive environments for all youth, at home and at school." - extract taken from wikipedia

What the Foundation says about itself and what others say about it:

"Founded in 1998 by the creators of the Academy Award®-winning short film TREVOR, The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25." - Extract taken from their website

After doing much internet digging, I've only come up with good, positive and heart-whelming news about this charity. Forbes covered 'The Trevor Project' during their 2019 '12 Days Of Charitable Giving 2019' and this is what they had to say about the charity:

"How great a need is there for The Trevor Project? Consider these numbers: gay, lesbian, and bisexual youth are four times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers. But, having one supportive person in their lives reduces their risk of suicide by 30%.


The Trevor Project offers crisis intervention and suicide prevention programs, including Trevor Lifeline, TrevorText, and TrevorChat as well as a peer-to-peer social network support for LGBTQ young people, TrevorSpace. "
 - Extract Taken from Forbes.com

You can even view the film that ignited the change that is currently in effect right here:



= TRIGGER WARNING =
I will be talking about my views on Suicidal Prevention, as well as my personal experiences. If you would like to skip that part, thank you so much for coming for the ride, and supporting the LGBTQIA community! If you'd like to take it a step forward, do check out my art that supports this charity here:



And as always, may your days be magical, I will see you in the next time. Bye!

Bye!

- AiAi 



Thoughts About the Suicidal Prevention and  Support: 

Having been in very dark places myself, which led me to have to seek medical attention, it was the Samaritain Hotline in my country that led me to find the kind of help I needed when it mattered the most. I can't say this for everyone, but I can say that as a survivor, I want to pay it forward and help organisations that are helping people who are struggling, to keep going. 

My Personal Experience:

The Trevor Project helps youth up until they are 25, and it was when I was 24-25, leaving my parent's home to live on my own and struggling to keep my life together, the help that was extended to me literally helped me get through that toughest period of my life. As much as I can, I hope to be able to extend the same to an organisation that is dedicated to helping young, impressionable youth and young adults to find their footing, and seek hope for their future. 

My Conclusions and Hopes for the Future:

I hope that we will move towards a future where being part of the LGBTQIA is normal and welcomed in all spaces. There is so many people of all sizes, shapes, gender identities and religions can offer, and it really saddens me that many of us are left on the outskirts of society just because we are slightly different from the normal. I dream of acceptance. I dream of equality, and mostly above all, I dream of love all around. 



And with that, we officially conclude this blog post! Thank you so much for coming for the ride, and supporting the LGBTQIA community! If you'd like to take it a step forward, do check out my art that supports this charity here:






And as always, may your days be magical, I will see you in the next time. Bye!

Bye!

- AiAi 






References:

1) https://www.thetrevorproject.org/about/
2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trevor_Project
3) https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11281
4) https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2019/12/19/12-days-of-charitable-giving-2019-the-trevor-project/?sh=2ce2002f2131
5) https://www.thetrevorproject.org/trvr_press/rep-lieu-introduces-federal-ban-on-lgbtq-conversion-therapy/
6) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiDiRlY0n9UDno1O7fswzzg


Comments